My first experience of ATM dispense error still remains vivid in my memory. That was at the local wing of Ikeja International Airport. I had a need for extra cash and so I opted to use one of the ATM outlets in the Airport.
I was held spellbound when the N20, 000 requests made was turned down with an error stating “issuer or switch inoperative”, only to get a debit alert on my handset.
If I say I felt frustrated, that would be an understatement. Surely, you will not enjoy the other side of my excruciating experience on that day.
Have I had dispense errors after then? Yes, very many I must admit. It’s a thought that comes to my mind anytime I am using the ATM. I just know it could happen.
I know that most of our readers can relate to my experience. To most customers, ATM dispense error has become almost like a household name. It could be that bad sometimes.
What we intend to do today is to lay bare how an ATM dispense error can hurt a customer and possible ways to help the customer overcome the pains.
- Instant shock: The occurrence of any ATM dispense error is followed by an instant shock. The customer is thrown off balance. It hits one like an uppercut punch. It doesn’t matter how many times you have suffered dispense error. The truth is that no one goes to the ATM expecting the ATM to debit without paying.
- Disappointment: After the shock comes the disappointment. It then dawns on the customer that the cash will not be delivered. In my story as shared above, I felt disappointed on that day. My hope of getting quick cash was dashed. It could be worst when you have a life-saving need for the money.
- Embarrassment: ATM dispense error can embarrass a customer who wants to withdraw and make payment. It becomes more embarrassing when what is involved is payment of an overdue debt. Imagine suffering a dispense error at a check out point in a shopping mall when you don’t have any cash on you? One will surely feel horrible to be made to drop already bagged items.
- Hardship: This is the most painful aspect. The real sorrow that ATM dispense error brings is felt more when the fund in question is the only money the customer was hoping on. Consider a situation where the only money available to a customer to buy some drugs for a very sick loved one is trapped at the ATM. Seriously, there are true life touching stories like this that can force one to sobriety.
- Frustration: How banks resolve ATM dispense errors can be really frustrating to customers. And I think this is one aspect that bank operatives have failed to effectively manage. Customers are often tossed around and resolutions are generally delayed. In most cases, the refunds are never made. What more could be as frustrating as that?
How one can overcome the pains
We acknowledge the fact that ATM dispense error can hurt a lot. And one cannot rule out the reality that it happens almost every minute across the length and breadth of our country. Therefore, find out how one can overcome the pains fast.
- Remember that the ATM dispense error will not end your world. Yes, it has unfortunately happened. But you need not hurt yourself the more. I have seen people who clinch their chest in pains at ATM points due to dispensing errors. You have to take it easy on yourself. Don’t let it look worst than it is already.
- If possible, contact your bank immediately. I belong to the school of thought that believes that it is better to use ATM terminals of your bank. In that case, you could easily run into a branch office and explain things to the operations manager. With good understanding and confirmation, a quick refund can be made to you as against the 24 hours prescribed resolution period.
- Seek for alternatives. It is said that necessity is the mother of all inventions. Have you suffered a dispense error on your last funds? Then try and relax. Leave the ATM center and go to a quiet corner. Put your mind to work, and you may just think out a positive alternative. The truth is that you should never underrate the power of a challenged mind.
ATM Dispense error is real. It does happen very often. And it hurts a lot. Gladly, that is not the end of the world. One can still bounce out of the pains.
Our suggestions here are simple and proven. We spared you with all the psychological lectures that could naturally come with pain management.